The artifacts on display in the Phoenix Church come from many different Catholic Churches in the Keweenaw.
St. Mary's Church was built in 1858 to serve the Catholic residents in the nearby mining community of Cliff, scene of the area's first major copper discovery in 1844. Services continued until 1899 when the church was dismantled and reassembled in Phoenix, where it was renamed The Church of the Assumption. Masses were held until 1957, when the last service marked a century of providing spiritual guidance to mining families and their descendants.
In 1985 the Keweenaw County Historical Society took over the property and began extensive repair and restoration work. The church now appears much as it did when folks from another century knelt in prayer, a fitting memorial to one chapter of Keweenaw's proud heritage. Although now deconsecrated, the church is still used for weddings and memorial services.
Click here to see a PDF copy of our Phoenix Church pamphlet. Be sure to use your browser's "BACK" button to return to this page after reading the brochure.
Each summer a 'Blessing of the Pets' service is held at the Phoenix Church.