The Historic School at Gay
The town of Gay, Michigan, is located on the shore of Lake Superior along the southern edge of the Keweenaw Peninsula, about 12 miles south of Mohawk. It was originally a commercial fishing village to harvest fish from Lake Superior and later a lumber community to harvest wood for the copper mines of the Keweenaw. In 1898 the Mohawk Mining company built its stamp mill in Gay to take advantage of the water available from Lake Superior to use in stamping or separating copper from mine rock. Soon another mill for the Wolverine Mining Company was built alongside the Mohawk mill, and the town of Gay became part of the copper mining process in the Keweenaw. The town was named for Joseph E. Gay, one of the founders of the Mohawk and Wolverine Mining Companies. The stamp mills closed by 1932, and today only a large smoke stack and a mile of gray stamp sand are left of the mills.
(Photo: Some of the historic looms used by Gay Industries to make rag rugs, etc.)
The first school in Gay was built in 1902 to meet the needs of the families working at the mills. It became overcrowded and a new, six room, two story building was built in 1927. It served students from grades one through 10. Students attending school past grade 10 went to Calumet. The school was a center of community life until the mills closed in 1932. By 1959 only 25 students attended the school, and it was closed in 1961.In 2009 the Keweenaw County Historical Society took over the property and began extensive repair and restoration work. The school is now a museum telling the story of the town of Gay and the impact of the Mohawk and Wolverine Copper Mining Companies' mills on the town of Gay and the environment. It also tells the story of commercial lumber and fishing in the area.
(Photo: Our 1907 Jewell motor car and a carriage are also on display.)
Visiting the Historic School at Gay
Hours & Admission-
Location- The Gay School is located at the intersection of Lake Street and the Gay Road in the town of Gay, Michigan, about 12 miles south of Mohawk, Michigan via the Gay-Mohawk Road across the street from the Township Hall. GPS:N 47 13.645 W 88 09.764, Decimal Degrees:47.227417, -88.162733
All sites are closed for the season
Coming this season!
Our thanks to Dorothy Jamison and The Wood'n Spoon for making this available.
Eagle Harbor Lifesaving Station Gets a Facelift
Volunteers Mark Rowe and Jim Huovinen put the finishing touches on the Lifesaving Museum's recent upgrade.