The Rathbone School / Knights of Pythias Museum
Located in Eagle Harbor, two blocks west of the harbor’s swimming beach, this extensively restored one-room school served the community from 1853 to 1872. The photo above shows the current building as the way the building appeared ca. 1900 with a tour of guests from the fraternal lodge, The Knights of Pythias. It was in this building that Justus H. Rathbone, who began teaching here in 1860, conceived the idea for the ritual of the Knights of Pythias, a secret fraternal society which he founded. This interdenominational organization, which had a peak membership of a quarter-million, continues to conduct its charitable work today across North America.
(Photo: One side of the Rathbone School is set up as an original one-room schoolhouse.)
The school has long been an object of pilgrimage by society members. In 1931, a thousand members gathered to pay homage to their society’s founder and to witness the unveiling of the nearby granite monument in honor of Justus Rathbone.
(Photo: The other side of the Rathbone School contains regalia and memorabilia commemorating the Knights of Pythias.)
Visiting The Rathbone School Museum
Hours & Admission-
Location- The Rathbone School is located at the intersection of 3rd and Center streets in the town of Eagle Harbor, Michigan. The address is: 277 Center Street, Eagle Harbor, MI. GPS: N 47 27.441 W 88 09.761,Decimal Degrees: 47.45735, -88.16268
All sites are closed for the season
100 years ago-
The ship was repaired and served a long life on The Great Lakes. When it was finally scrapped, its mast was acquired by Captain Richard Metz and donated to KCHS where it is now displayed.
You can find a bounty of stories about Keweenaw shipwrecks in our triannual newsletter The Superior Signal by becoming a member.