Once the copper ore was mined, milled, and smelted it was poured into ingots such as these found in the Keweenaw History Museum.
The history of the Keweenaw is a complex mixture of mining, shipping, tourism, and the struggles of every day life on America's early 'Western" frontier. The Keweenaw History museum contains displays that look at each of these areas. The Eagle Harbor exhibit shows photographs of the development of Eagle Harbor from a mining then lumber community to an early tourist destination. The history of mining is displayed through photographs and artifacts that trace the 6,000 year old history of mining in the Keweenaw. The wreck of the S. S. Bangor in 1926 near Copper Harbor and it's load of Chrysler automobiles is examined in detail. Life in the Keweenaw is shown through photos, art works, and even an early Copper County automobile.
The Keweenaw County Historical Keweenaw History Museum is located on the grounds of the Eagle Harbor Lighthouse complex in Eagle Harbor, Michigan. It is located in the old Coast Guard garage building on the site.
Since 1982 the Keweenaw County Historical Society has maintained four museums at the light station. Besides the lighthouse, they include a Maritime Museum in the old fog signal building, a Keweenaw History Museum located in the old U. S. Coast Guard Station garage, and Commercial Fishing Museum located in one of the assistant keepers buildings.
The museum has a large exhibit detailing the wreck of the S.S. Bangor and the rescue of Chrysler cars similar to this one.
In 1999, Congress transferred ownership of the Eagle Harbor Light Station to the Keweenaw County Historical Society. The U.S. Coast Guard continues to operate the light at the top of the tower.
The Keweenaw History Museum and the Eagle Harbor Lighthouse Complex are open from mid-June to early October. Admission $5.00. Children free.