Even though the school had closed the building was still a tour stop for many groups including this group from the Knights of Pythias .
Located in Eagle Harbor, two blocks west of the harbor's swimming beach, this extensively restored one-room school served the community from 1853 to 1872. It was in this building that Justus H. Rathbone, who began teaching here in 1860, conceived the idea for the ritual of the Knights of Pythias, a secret fraternal society which he founded. This interdenominational organization, which had a peak membership of a quarter-million, continues to conduct its charitable work across North America.
The school has long been an object of pilgrimage by society members. In 1931, a thousand members gathered to pay homage to their society's founder and to witness the unveiling of the nearby granite monument in honor of Justus Rathbone.
The historic property was deeded by the society to Keweenaw County Historical Society in 1982. Its interior is furnished as it was in its time as a school and includes Knights of Pythias exhibits.