Announcements: All of the Keweenaw County Historical Museums will begin reopening on June 11, 2017 for the summer season. See the Site and Museum Schedule page for the exact time and dates for specific museums.
We have also posted a complete calendar of events for our summer season on our Calendar of Events page as well as a summary of our Adventures in History programs on the Adventures in History page.
Come and join the Keweenaw County Historical Society at one or more of the following Keweenaw area events:
Press here for a printable Calendar of Events for Summer 2017.
- June 5-7: -- 2017 Rental Cottage reservations; call Dar Huovinen at 906-337-0767, between 10 AM-2 PM EDT
- Sunday June 11:-- Bammert Blacksmith Shop opens, M-26 Phoenix, 8 AM–6 PM daily
- Sunday June 11:-- Phoenix Church of the Assumption opens, U.S. 41 Phoenix, 8 AM–6 PM daily
- Sunday June 11: -- Eagle Harbor Lighthouse Complex opens; Hours for June, Sept., and October are 12-5 PM with docents present. July and August hours are Mon-Sat- 10 AM-5 PM, Sunday Noon-5, with docents present. Adult admission $5, children and KCHS members free
- Sunday June 11:-- Life-Saving Museum at Eagle Harbor - from 9 AM to 6 PM daily.
- Sunday June 11: -- Rathbone Schoolhouse opens, Eagle Harbor, 10 AM–5 PM, daily
- Sunday June 11: -- Central Mine Visitor Center, House #61 and House #25 open, 9 AM–5 PM daily, Docents present when available
- Wednesday June 14: -- Eagle River Museum opens, Eagle River Community Center, open Wed./Fri./Sat. 12–4 PM, Docents present
Saturday, June 17:-- School at Gay Museum Open House, School at Gay Museum opens, Gay, Michigan, open Wed. and Sat. 12–3 PM, docents present
- Wednesday, June 28:-- Adventures in History, She’s Not As Shiny As She Used To Be: The Shipwreck Story of the City of Bangor , Mark Rowe, Copper Harbor Community Building, 7:00 P.M. See the Adventures in History page for details.
- Wednesday, June 28 and Thursday, June 29:-- Adventures in History, A Woven Rag Rug Workshop for Beginners , Susan Brown, Historic Gay School Museum, 9:00 A.M. - 4:00 P.M. See the Adventures in History page for details.
- Tuesday, July 4:-- School at Gay Museum Special Open House, Gay Michigan, open. 12–3 PM, docents present
- Tuesday, July 11:-- Adventures in History, Map Your History with the Keweenaw Time Traveler, Don Lafreniere and Sarah Fayen Scarlett, Eagle Harbor Community Building, 7:00 P.M. See the Adventures in History page for details.
- Sunday July 23:--Blessing of the Animals, Phoenix Church, 1:30–3:30 PM
- Tuesday July 25:-- Adventures in History: I worked underground at a Michigan Copper Mine, Jim Huovinen, Eagle Harbor Community Building, 7:00 P.M. See the Adventures in History page for details.
- Sunday July 30:--111th Annual Central Church Reunion and Cornish Tea, Central Mine; church services at 9AM & 11 AM, Cornish Tea sponsored by the Keweenaw Kernewek at the Central Visitor’s Center 10 AM–1 PM
- Tuesday, August 8:--- Adventures in History, Missing In The Copper Country, Lynette Webber, Eagle Harbor Community Building, 7:00 PM, See the Adventures in History page for details.
- Friday, August 11:-- Jazz Central, jazz concert at Central Mine, upper parking lot, 6-10 PM
This is a fundraiser for KCHS projects at Central Mine
Music from 6:00 PM until 10:00 PM. Silent Auction, catering by Fitz BBQ
Bring your chairs, coolers, dancing shoes (and a flashlight)
- Saturday-Sunday August 12-13:-- Eagle Harbor Art Fair, Saturday 10 AM-5 PM, Sunday 12-4 PM
- Wednesday August 16:--Volunteer Appreciation Party, at a KCHS Site to be announced, 7–9 PM
- Saturday Afternoon, August 19:-- Adventures in History,Music of Keweenaw’s Historic Past , Susan Byykkonen, Eagle River Community Building, 7:00 PM. See the Adventures in History page for details.
- Sunday August 20:-- Phoenix Church Open House, 1-4 PM
- Monday, September 4:-- School at Gay Museum Special Open House, Gay Michigan, open. 12–3 PM, docents present
- Sunday Sept. 10:-- Annual Memorial Mass, Phoenix Church, 1:30 PM
- Wednesday Sept. 13:-- Adventures in History, Neil Woodward in Concert, Copper Harbor Community Building, 7–9 PM. By State action, Neil Woodward is Michigan's Official Troubadour. He sings songs of Michigan-i-a, Songs and Stories of the Great Lakes. There will be an ice cream social sponsored by George and Brenda Nousianen following the concert.
- Sunday Sept. 17:-- KCHS Annual Dinner. -
The Keweenaw County Historical Society will host it's annual End-Of-Season dinner on Sunday September 18, 2016, at the Keweenaw Mountain Lodge, US 41 in Copper Harbor, Michigan. Details will be posted as avaiable.
- SaturdaySeptember 23:-- Adventures in History, Cider Making Workshop, House 10 at Central Mine, 10 AM–3 PM, See the Adventures in History page for details.
- Sunday October 8:-- All Museums Closed for the Season